It's A Trap

This afternoon while I was folding clothes in the basement (yes, I can do laundry as well as carpentry!) I noticed water dripping off the foundation sill. My first thought was condensation from the dryer vent that I recently rerouted into the house, but the vent was dry. Then I thought maybe water was dripping in through the window, but no, it is still below freezing and the sun was not shining so nothing was melting outside. And then I realized that I was right below the kitchen sink... and Amy was washing dishes.
So I raced upstairs, opened the cabinets, and what to my wondering eyes did appear, but standing water on the floor of the cabinet and a drain trap that looked like this:
Apparently the old metal pipe just rotted away. So with a quick trip to Carter's thirty minutes before they closed and five dollars later, I was able to pick up a new plastic, replacement drain trap. It only took an hour altogether and I was able to salvage the connector to the garbage disposal and the rubber sleeve for the drain pipe that comes up through the floor. So if I have about 500 feet of plumbing that needs replaced at least two feet are done!

Comments

  1. PVC is the only way to go. That metal stuff always breaks or leaks eventually. Only 498 feet to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh! Gotta love that plumbing! Especially in winter.....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment